Women of style pay attention to every detail and there are two significant details that will be part of each look you sport, every day of your married life.
Reflecting the harmonious union that you and your loved one seal at the altar, your engagement ring and your wedding ring should complement one another, each enhancing the other’s beauty, rather than competing for attention or detracting noisily.
Canterbury Jewellers specialises in creating wedding rings to suit your engagement ring. Second generation Jeweller Jason Baylis says, “However unique your engagement ring, we focus on making your rings look fantastic together, and we try to ensure your wedding ring will look great on its own as well”.
The company’s sketch artist brings your ideas to life on the page, so you know they are going to get it right and your bespoke wedding ring can be ready in as little as a week.
When it comes to New Zealand wedding destinations, the romantic mountain views and landscaped gardens of the Heritage Hanmer Springs provide an amazing ceremonial backdrop.
A landmark venue just 90 minutes from Christchurch, it’s a world away from the ordinary, in a stunning alpine retreat that will captivate you and your guests.
The venue can arrange everything, from tailormade menus, to beverage and staffing needs. There is a fabulous ballroom, complete with open fireplace, or enjoy a stylish and unforgettable lawn wedding in the picturesque gazebo set amongst beautiful gardens.
A range of accommodation is available, including three-bedroom villas located around a charming lake. Guests can enjoy all Hanmer Springs has to offer, including the world famous thermal pools, a short walk across the main street.
If you are looking for elegance, a spectacular location and personalised service, choose Heritage Hanmer Springs.
Email HanmerConf@heritagehotels.co.nz, phone 03-315 0065 or visit
Wedding vows: they’ve commanded a lot of attention over the years. They’ve made us laugh, they’ve made us cry and sometimes, for those of us who have had to scribe these wedding days words, they’ve really intimidated us.
There’s debate over who actually said it, but we’ll take a gamble on the fact it was Churchill: “I didn’t have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one”.
It’s an enduring conundrum: how to say something compelling, quickly.
If you’re getting tongue tied ahead of tying the knot, here are our top tips for those ever-elusive wedding vow ideas:
- Set the tone: Just as you’d want to coordinate the style of your invites with your decorations; your gown with your shoes; your hair with your makeup, you need to agree a tone for your vows with your significant other. Before embarking on your literary journeys, get your heads together to determine the mood you want to create. If one of you writes a romantic declaration while the other resorts to gimmicks or cliches, it could dampen the matrimonial mood.
- Get to the point: It’s hard to imagine that on the most important day of your life, people’s attention may wander away from you – you are the centre of attention, after all! Be that as it may, keeping your vows clear and concise, and no more than a couple of minutes in length, will make for an endearing and engaging exchange.
- Plagiarism encouraged: This may seem like we are going against all our journalistic ethics, and it is, but if you’re really struggling to wax lyrical about your loved one, then by all means, let Google be your inspiration. Sometimes a blank canvas can be really overwhelming and all it takes is a few reference points to help you on your way.
- Consult your officiant: This is often an afterthought, but it’s actually important, particularly if you are marrying in a church or observe a religion and there are some mandatory inclusions.
- Practice makes perfect: While most don’t commit their vows to memory – and fair enough too, there’s enough to remember on the day as it is – repetition is your best friend when it comes to your vows. Say them out loud as many times as you can in the lead up to the big day so you can get acquainted and comfortable in the language without tripping over your words or letting nerves undermine your delivery.
Encompassing incredible technology, Magic Mirror is a stand out from other photo booth offerings, with this voice activated mirror and touch screen making quite the experience.
The VIP set up is personalised with either red or black carpet and your choice of glamourous sequinned backdrop. An attendant is on hand, so you don’t have to worry about changing settings or loading printer paper throughout the night. A personalised logo and a range of styles to suit your theme mean your event is commemorated properly, including personalised touch screens with dates and bride/groom names.
Magic Mirror offers extras like unlimited printing, amazing personalised guest books (from Auckland store ‘Down Memory Lane’). There are also 200+ animations and a comprehensive table of props. Aside from the elegance Magic Mirror brings, it’s easy to overlook the benefit so obvious you almost miss it: being a mirror you can fix your hair and makeup before the photo!
While we’ve never needed an excuse to keep the style party going long after the curtain has fallen on our big day, the honeymoon presents such a significant opportunity to introduce some chic newbies to our wardrobes that we couldn’t let the opportunity go by without making a fashionable fuss.
If your wedding falls in 2018, and you’re planning on jetting off somewhere where the sun never sets, then we’ve got you covered from top to toe with our honeymoon must haves.
- Resortwear: Ok, the name is potentially misleading; you don’t actually have to be at a resort to wear it. It could be a beach in the Bahamas or a promenade in Portugal. The aim of this style game is to provide you with sophisticated but practical options for your romantic getaway. Brands like Seafolly, Zimmerman and Marc Jacobs have the style goods.
- The ‘It’ bag: Whether it’s an oversized tote or a tiny clutch, having a bag for your personal items is mandatory. There’s not a one-size-fits all accessory for everyone but we play favourites with totes thanks to their versatility. Scale their use up or down at will; whether you just want to pack your daytime essentials, or throw in your entire wardrobe for your honeymoon so you can travel light, then this is your answer.
- Make a splash: A chic bathing suit fits into the fundamentals category when you’re flocking to summer fun on your honeymoon. We’ve selected a tongue-in-cheek option, but opt for whatever you feel most comfortable in – it’s absolutely key.
- The night and day dress: Having a go-to dress that can transition with ease from day to night means you’re covered when you’re having one of those ‘I’ve got nothing to wear’ moments. We love the styles that are chic enough to escort you to a dinner, but casual enough you can throw it over your ‘kini when you head down to the beach.
- Glowing skin: Your honeymoon is the adventure of a lifetime, but it’s also the perfect time to give your skin some R&R time, so be sure to have makeup free days and get back to basics with some great cleansing.
We have a secret to share with you; it’s a gem of a venue – Ilam Homestead.
Tucked away down at 87 Ilam Road, it’s a venue with sweeping lawns to the river, stunning rhododendron gardens to walk through and old-style charm from the early 1900s.
There’s room for every type of function – cocktails for 20-30 in the nook, a 50-80-person canape mixer outside and 90 can be seated upstairs. Have your wedding photos amongst the garden, or by the river. It’s similar in style to Mona Vale, with that beautiful 1900s decor and staff who are just delightful.
Another surprise is the incredible range of boutique beers and wines available. With the choice of three catering companies to fit all budgets and styles, it would pay to take a wander down and have a look at Ilam Homestead.
A couple’s wedding day is arguably the holy grail of any possible event. The true definition of a celebration, each and every detail comes together to create memories that will last a lifetime.
Behind the glitz and glamour of the day itself, are key essentials fundamental to success. Few would know this better than Dakins Group, a true specialist in the sanitation industry.
Dakins has taken the concept of sanitation and made it into something extremely stylish. Offering everything from single unit portaloos to luxury facilities, guests can enjoy posh practicalities.
Offering the South Island’s largest selection of 20-foot and 40-foot portable toilet and bathroom blocks, the business’ pride and joy of the fleet is a state-of-the-art deluxe men’s and women’s bathroom block called the ‘Sheraton’ featuring contemporary vanities, full-length mirrors, hand lotion and even hair straighteners.
To discuss facilities for your event, contact the Dakin Group on 03-384 9100 or 0800 325 467, or email
Perfection – in a wedding ring, you want nothing less. Polished Diamonds on New Regent Street delivers that perfection.
The award-winning, manufacturing jeweller uses architectural CAD to model your ring so you can see how it will actually look.
The boutique design studio can create his and hers rings, with diamonds, gemstones or simple gold or platinum rings. In fact, any style and any material can be incorporated into your rings.
Add in workshop-direct value and you have highest quality craftsmanship at affordable prices.
Your uniquely designed and engineered ring is future-proofed and backed by a lifetime guarantee.
A beautiful wedding day experience – angst-free, co-ordinated, and a true reflection of a couple’s desires – is never a coincidence, but rather the culmination of weeks, sometimes months, or even years of meticulous planning.
Few appreciate this more than Moira Murphy of I Do For You. With more than ten years of experience planning events, Moira believes planning a wedding should be a joy not ‘something to get through’ and has devoted her career to helping a couple’s wedding day fulfil it’s potential.
“You only do this once so it’s okay to feel overwhelmed. I love my job and it is my privilege to make ‘hard’ easy for you.”
Engaging a wedding planner like Moira can save couples money as all supplier discounts are passed directly onto them. With a flexible service, I Do For You can cater for all elements of the wedding planning process, including partial planning, website creation, on the day support and the full package.