I’ve partnered with the team at JAZZ Apples to create an incredibly simple oaty butterscotch and apple crumble.
New season JAZZ Apples are grown in sun-drenched Nelson and Hawkes Bay orchards creating a tangy-sweet flavour that cuts through the caramel for a not-too-sweet (but rich) dessert. I’ve cheated and used store bought caramel but you could equally make your own using brown sugar and butter.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. For the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Add the butter cubes and rub into dry ingredients to resemble breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the oats, then set aside in a fridge while you cut the apples.
5. Toss the chopped apples well with the caramel sauce and salt.
6. Split the mixture between 4-6 ramekins, top each with a knob of butter then sprinkle the oaty topping evenly all over each.
7. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the apples are bubbling and the crumble is golden brown.
8. Serve with lots of ice cream.