This rich, warm dining space is a sophisticated take on a classic citrus. Rather than using the fresh, light colours normally associated with a citrus-inspired scheme, this one opts for a richer, full-bodied look instead.
The orange rear wall packs a punch in Resene Twisted Sister, while the complementing accessories pop in softer, more muted shades, such as a short round vase in Resene Thumbs Up, a small bowl in Resene Moonlight, a tall angular vase in Resene Yuma and a table bowl in Resene Crowdpleaser. The sideboard they sit on is painted in Resene Swiss Caramel, the chair in Resene Moccasin and the pendant light in Resene Spanish White.
The room is fresh and appealing but escapes being too pretty and light, plus it’s a citrus scheme that will transcend the seasons and not be locked into summer or spring. Other walls in the space are painted in Resene Half Spanish White as a neutral counterpoint, while golden-stained Resene Colorwood Natural finished timber adds further oomph to the warm glow of the room.
Despite this deep orange being such a striking colour, it is surprisingly adaptable to a variety of interior styles; here it has a clean architectural look. By changing out some accessories, colour accents and furniture, you can style to your own taste for a completely unique look. Here’s some tips to get you started:
- Swap the table for a chunkier version, add leather chairs, a potted cacti and denim blue accessories and you have an American dessert theme.
- Go for mid-century furniture and teal and mustard accents for retro appeal.
- Stay with the mid-century furniture but add pop art and palms for a Californian cool vibe.
- Add textured pots, baskets, an old oak table, potted lavender or daisies, and classic cream earthenware for a Mediterranean feel.
- Or how about touches of turquoise, antiqued silver, purple, large urns and tiles for some Moroccan magic?
Get inspired at your local Resene ColorShop, www.resene.co.nz/colorshops.