We’re heading into a new working year – it’s time to refresh, rejuvenate and replenish before we’re dragged back to the daily grind. How about a facial massage for a healthy glow? We explore the benefits.
Just like the rest of your body, facial muscles (all 43 of them!) require exercise to keep you looking toned, younger and healthier – and that’s why many beauty experts recommend incorporating regular facial massage into your daily skincare routine to maximise anti-aging benefits.
Facial massages primarily increase blood and oxygen flow to the face, which:
- Increases the production of collagen – your body’s own anti-aging ‘serum’.
- Allows the skin to work more efficiently, increasing the absorption of skincare products. Exfoliating before a facial massage increases this further. We recommend doing this before bed so the product can absorb overnight without any additional coverage (like makeup or sunscreen).
- Stimulates the lymph nodes, which flush out fluids and toxins that congest the skin and cause under-eye bags/dark circles.
- Relieves tension in the facial muscles, stopping wrinkles in their tracks. Focus gently on the soft lines around the mouth, eyes and eyebrows for maximum results.
- Can help to alleviate stress! According to a study in the journal Biomedical Research, facial massage activates the sympathetic nervous system, which reduces anxiety levels and uplifts mood.
TOP TIP: Always use upward circular motions – you want to work against gravity, so everything goes up!