It simply is not Christmas without a trifle; it makes such a great table centrepiece. The best thing is you can invent your own trifle layers using your favourite sponge or meringue – mix and match fruits, creams, jellies and inclusions – there really are no rules. This trifle is entirely made up of recipes from Chefs Host Christmas.
Just go for it! I’m using cherries here because they are AMAZING but use whatever you fancy as a fruity substitute.
The best part about this, apart from the taste, is that it can all be made in advance. Knock this out on Chrissy Eve and you’ll be winning.
25 minutes (plus overnight setting and 1-hour chilling on the day)
500g cherries in vanilla syrup
500ml moscato jelly
720g white chocolate + vanilla cream, whipped
2 x chocolate brownie discs, 18cm diameter
75g dark chocolate, melted
200g champagne sabayon
- For the trifle, you will need a 2.5 litre glass bowl with a diameter of 18–20 cm to fit all the layers.
- Drain the cherries and reserve the syrup. Arrange the cherries in the bottom of the glass bowl. Slowly pour the melted jelly into the bowl to cover the cherries. Place the bowl in the fridge and leave to set overnight.
- The next day, spoon half of the white chocolate and vanilla cream onto the jelly and spread it out to the edge of the bowl with a spoon. Drizzle half of the reserved cherry syrup over the top of the cream.
- Place one of the chocolate brownie discs on top of the cream and push it gently into the cream layer to half submerge it. Spoon the remaining white chocolate and vanilla cream onto the chocolate sponge. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top using a spoon.
- Place the second chocolate brownie disc on top of the cream and again push it gently into the cream layer to half submerge. Spoon on the custard and spread it out to the edge of the bowl before drizzling the remaining cherry syrup over the top.
- Spoon the champagne sabayon over the custard, to fill the glass bowl. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour to let everything settle and soak in.
- Meanwhile, prepare the decorations for the trifle. Make the meringue dots and chocolate shards.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the trifle from the fridge. Decorate with fresh cherries, drained cherries in syrup, meringue dots, chocolate shards and gold leaf.
Cherries in vanilla syrup, extra, drained
Dark chocolate shards
Edible gold leaf